Download and Installation
From Transkribus Wiki
Revision as of 09:37, 3 June 2019 by Günter Hackl
- Once you have registered for an account, you can download Transkribus for free from our website.
Supported Operating Systems
- Transkribus is platform independent and will run on Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Transkribus is written in JAVA. You need to have the newest JAVA 8 installed on your computer for Transkribus to work. This should be the case for most computers.
- You can get Java 8 from here: https://java.com/de/download/manual.jsp#win
- Java 9 and Java 10 does not work! Check your Java version!
- If you need to check your JAVA version: https://java.com/en/download/help/version_manual.xml
- Please note that Transkribus is tested using the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) by Oracle. While it is known to run also on the JVM that comes with OpenJDK, other implementations are neither tested nor supported.
Unzip ZIP File
- After download you will see a ZIP File in the download directory of your computer.
- Unzip the file before you try to start an executable (.exe) file.
Run Transkribus via an executable file: .exe, .command, .sh
- Open the Transkribus directory. There you will find the executable files for your operating system.
- Start Transkribus from your user interface via doubleclick:
- Windows: Transkribus.bat or use Transkribus.exe
- Mac OS - Apple: Transkribus.command
- Linux: Transkribus.sh
Notes for first launch on Linux
- If the OS is (or is based on) Ubuntu 17.04, installing libwebkit is necessary:
sudo apt install libwebkitgtk-1.0-0
Notes for first launch on Windows
- If you do not have "Administrator" rights, Windows will produce a warning message, such as: Your Computer is Protected by Windows", etc.
- Do not confirm, but go to "More Information". There you can agree that this is not malware and that you want to run Transkribus on your computer.
Notes for first launch on MAC
- If you run the program the first time, it may not start because it is a non-signed application ("... can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer" message)
- In this case, right-click (or control-click) the application and choose "Open". In the appearing dialog box, click "Open" again!
- Or right click the Track Pad to open the Context Menu and add a security exception for Transkribus.
Encountering problems and difficulties: Have a look at out FAQ page